Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
|Section||Location||Begin Date||End Date||Instructor||Price||Seats Available/Total Seats|
- Students will be able to demonstrate an advanced level of proficiency with various aspects of social discourse including but not limited to expressing opinions, disagreeing, discussing current events, describing one's accomplishments, re-telling complex events/stories, and engaging in culturally appropriate humor.
- Lesson 1: Stating and Comprehending Biographical and Family Information; Stating Plans for the Future
- Lesson 2: Describing One's Current or Future Job; Making Cultural Comparisons between Native Country and the US.
- Lesson 3: Discussing Current Events; Polite Disagreement
- Lesson 4: Seeking Out/Giving Advice; Avoiding Commitments; Sympathizing With the Problems of Others.
- Lesson 5: Describing Personal Accomplishments; Paraphrasing
- Lesson 6: Taking and Defending a Stand on a Current Issue
- Lesson 7: Comparing/Contrasting Humor in Native Country with Humor in the US; Identifying Sarcasm and Exaggeration - Cultural Norms in the US.
- Lesson 8: Student Presentations and Feedback
- Attendance 80% or above