Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- demonstrate an understanding of oral communication skills as evidenced by participation in discussion activities.
- make use of knowledge of US American culture and customs as they pertain to oral communication.
- Stating and comprehending biographical and family Information; stating plans for the future.
- Describing one's current or future job; making cultural comparisons between native country and the US.
- Discussing current events; polite disagreement.
- Seeking out/giving advice; avoiding commitments; sympathizing with the problems of others.
- Describing personal accomplishments; paraphrasing.
- Taking and defending a stand on a current issue.
- Comparing/contrasting humor in native country with humor in the US; identifying sarcasm and exaggeration.
- Student presentations and feedback.
- Attendance 80% or above
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 2 - SEF-3001BQ2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 1 - SEF-3001BR2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation Part 3 - SEF-3001HG2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Grammar for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711F2