Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to create original writing such as emails, reports, and memos.
- be able to write for specific language functions such as congratulating, showing appreciation, making requests, asking for clarification, etc.
- be able to differentiate between formal and informal language and determine the appropriate use of each.
- Week 1 - Course Introduction, Business Memos
- Week 2 - Common Errors and How to Avoid Them
- Week 3 - Differentiating Informal and Formal Language - Determining what is best for your communication
- Week 4 - Language Functions - Congratulations, Apologies, Showing Appreciation
- Week 5 - Language Functions - Making Requests, Polite Refusals
- Week 6 - Language Functions - Asking for Clarification
- Week 7 - Digital Communication and Social Media (emails, Twitter, Facebook, texting)
- Week 8 - Conclusion and Review of Material
- Attendance 90% or above
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 1 - COM-3711W3
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 2 - COM-3711X3
- Beyond the Basics: Interpersonal Skills For the Workplace - COM-3711Y3
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3