Human Services Technology FAQs

How long will it take me to complete the program?

Degree programs can be completed in two years for students who enroll on a full-time basis. Many students attend part-time and complete the program within four years. Some students are required to take additional English or reading courses, which may extend the time necessary to complete the program. Certificate programs are intended to be completed within three semesters, depending on the number of courses a student can take each semester. Faculty advisors encourage students to enroll in a course load that will allow students to be successful while also keeping in mind non-academic obligations and responsibilities.

Can I get more than one of the Human Services degree?

Yes, students are allowed to complete more than one degree program. However, it will take longer, as each degree program has different requirements. Additionally, a Work-Based Learning experience is required for each degree. Students interested in multiple concentrations are encouraged to consider completing a combination of one degree program and a certificate program.

Will I be able to transfer to a four-year program when I graduate?

Some students who complete a Human Services Technology degree program do transfer to other schools to complete bachelor's degrees. Wake Tech has agreements with UNC-Pembroke (Social Work), the University of Mount Olive (Human Services), North Carolina Wesleyan University (Psychology), and Gardner-Webb University (Human Services). Fayetteville State University, UNC-Greensboro, Purdue University Global and Lees-McRae College have also accepted courses from North Carolina community college Human Services programs.

Wake Tech is working on agreements with other colleges and universities to allow students to transfer credits and enter with junior status. In some cases, additional classes are required. Students hoping to transfer to a four-year program after graduation from Wake Tech are encouraged to meet with their faculty advisor early in the program to ensure that they are on the best path for achieving that goal.

Incoming students who aspire to transfer to a four-year program to study psychology or social work may wish to consider the Associate in Arts transfer program.

Can I complete Work-Based Learning at my job or substitute work experience for my internship?

The Human Services Technology program does not substitute previous work experience for the Work-Based Learning (WBL) requirement. Students currently working in the Human Services field may be allowed to complete their WBL experience at their current place of employment. Students are encouraged to speak with the WBL faculty coordinator about their options.

The WBL faculty coordinator maintains a list of community agencies that provide WBL experiences for our students. If you are not currently working in the Human Services field, the coordinator will work with you to identify and select and appropriate WBL site.

When can I complete Work-Based Learning?

Students typically complete Work-Based Learning (WBL) during their last or next-to-last semester in the program. To be eligible for WBL, students must have have an 2.5 GPA or higher in their program coursework, have completed the prerequisite courses and submit a faculty recommendation from from their faculty advisor or a program instructor. Please reach out to the WBL faculty coordinator or your faculty advisor for more information.

I have a past criminal record. Will that prevent me from obtaining employment?

The Human Services field recognizes that professionals can come to the field with a variety of previous experiences. Having a criminal record as part of your personal history may or may not impact your employment options. Many agencies require pre-employment background checks and, depending on the specific nature of your criminal background, will make determinations on your employability.

Students interested in working toward a credential as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor should consult the North Carolina Addictions Specialist Practice Board for details regarding how a criminal history may impact credentialing in that field.

Can I complete the program fully online?

The Human Services Technology program offers courses at various times throughout the day, including evening, and in different formats to help accommodate as many students as possible. Classes are offered in fully online, hybrid and in-person formats on a rotating basis. At this time, it is not possible to complete a Human Services Technology degree 100% online. Students are encouraged to speak with their faculty advisor regarding their scheduling needs.

What is the difference between the two Addiction and Recovery Studies certificates?

The Addiction and Recovery Studies - Intervention certificate requires students to participate in Work-Based Learning. Students often find this helpful in getting them started toward earning the practical hours required for credentialing as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor with the North Carolina Additions Specialist Practice Board. This is particularly helpful for students who may already have a four-year or master's degree and who are changing careers.

The Addiction and Recovery Studies Counseling certificate does not require a Work-Based Learning experience and, instead, requires a course in working with groups in recovery settings. This may be most useful for students who wish to complete a certificate program in Addiction and Recovery studies in addition to a Human Services Technology degree program or students who may already work in the addiction field and who wish to work toward credentialing.

Students interested in these certificate options are encouraged to speak with a program advisor for more information on choosing the best option for their needs.