Career Exploration for Prospective Students
Need help clarifying your career goals? Undecided about your college major or program of study? Ready to explore the next steps in your career plan?
Wake Tech's Career Services Office has tools and resources available to guide you in the career decision-making process. We can support you in the development of a plan of action.
Take part in an exploratory session to explore pathways to the career that fits your interests. Currently, sessions are offered for health care careers, including nursing, emergency medical technician, pharmacy technician or medical billing and coding, and information technology careers, such as computer programming, cybersecurity or video game developer.
Get your questions answered regarding educational requirements, how long it takes to get a certification or degree, salaries offered in the field and how Wake Tech can help you achieve your career goal.
You can also meet with our staff one on one or as part of a group to get started on your career journey.
The following links offer resources to assist in your career exploration:
- What Can I Do With This Major? - Connect academic majors to careers and employers.
- College Foundation of North Carolina - Tools for transitioning to college, transferring and exploring majors and careers.
- NCCareers.org - North Carolina’s central online resource for job and career information.
- Virtual Job Shadow - Take a virtual field trip and go behind the scenes with real professionals to view 1,000+ career opportunities.
- Career One Stop - Occupations, salaries, outlook and career videos.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Salaries, education and training requirements, outlook and employment resources.
- Career Coach - Data on local jobs, requirements, wages and outlook – and corresponding Wake Tech programs.
- Focus 2 - Self-assessment, exploration, decision-making and action planning. (NOTE: After creating an account, use "careers" as the access code.)
- O*NET Interest Profiler - Identification of career interests and how they relate to the world of work.