State Mathematics Contest Registration
Contest Date: Thursday, March 21, 2019
The NCCTM has coordinated the State Mathematics Contest for forty years. The 41st Annual State Mathematics Contest is being planned now. Eligible students may participate in regional competition in four division areas: Level I, Level II, Level III, or in the Comprehensive Division. See complete rules and dates for all contests at https://sites.google.com/site/statemathcontest/home
Invitation to Participate
Your school is invited to participate in the regional competition of the State Mathematics Contest to be held at Wake Technical Community College on Thursday, March 21, 2019. Each school may send students to participate in the Level I, Level II, Level III, and/or Comprehensive division. Therefore, if anyone else at your school may be interested in this invitation, please copy it and pass it on to them! Each school may send at most 4 Level I students, 4 Level II students, 4 Level III students, and 6 Comprehensive students.
We have enjoyed hosting this event over the last twenty-five years and look forward to having you and your students on our campus. We hope you will make plans to join us!
- The completed registration form must be received by the deadline of February 28, 2019. No forms will be accepted after this date. Our facilities are limited and material and food must be ordered in a timely manner. An e-mail confirming receipt of your form will be sent.
- A check made payable to Wake Technical Community College should accompany the completed registration form but can be sent separately after the deadline. The most important thing is that we have the correct number of participants by the deadline. If you choose to send your check separately, please make sure that a copy of the registration form is included.
- Once you select your students, please send the list of names by e-mail to [email protected]. The final list of your participants should be received no later than March 11, 2019.
Please make note of the deadline dates on your calendar now! If you have questions or concerns, e-mail or call Mary Pearce at [email protected] 919-866-5976.
Below are the rules governing the Regional State Mathematics Contest at Wake Technical Community College.
- Each school will be allowed to send up to 4 students for the Level I competition, 4 students for the Level II competition, 4 students for the Level III competition, and 6 students for the Comprehensive competition. Team awards will be based on the top four student scores. However, each student competes individually for the right to advance to the state finals.
- Calculators will not be permitted.
- Plaques and medals will be awarded to individuals and teams. A team score will be the sum of the top 4 scores of the school’s participants.
- In the Level I, II, and III contests, the top 10% of individuals, but not less than 10 students, may compete later at the designated site for regional competition on May 2, 2019. In the comprehensive contest, the top 8% of the individuals with a minimum of 8 students may compete at the State Finals at the NCCSM on April 11, 2019.
- Individual and team awards will be given on the basis of the highest total scores. In the case of ties, a tie-breaking procedure is to be used based upon previously chosen tie breaker items.
First procedure: Highest number of tiebreaker items correct
Second procedure: "Sudden Death" on the tie-breaking items
Third procedure: "Sudden Death" on all the test items
- The test will consist of 20 multiple choice and 5 free response questions. The individual scores are calculated by finding the scores on the multiple choice and free response parts.
Multiple Choice Scores = 5 * Number Correct + Number Left Blank
It is the sponsor’s responsibility to inform the students of all rules and grading procedures prior to the test date.
March 21, 2019
|8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.||Registration|
|9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.||Preliminaries|
|9:40 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.||Written Test|
|11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.||Lunch (provided)|
|12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.||Fun and Games|
|1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.||Awards Presentation|