Rhetoric – Exposition – Argumentation – Literature
Students taking a curriculum-level English class can get support from expert Wake Tech English department faculty, who offer three tutoring options in the following areas:
- All ENG concepts and assignments
- Audience and writing situation analysis
- Idea development
- Structure and paragraph development
- Introductions and conclusions
- Thesis statements and topic sentences
- Research and documentation (MLA and APA)
- Identifying and understanding grammar errors
- Grammatical accuracy
- Style and tone
- ...And more
REAL Center (in-person)
In-person tutoring is especially helpful if you're taking on-campus classes or like to discuss your work face-to-face. The REAL Center offers 25-minute tutoring sessions at the following locations:
- Southern Wake Campus
Building B, Room 392
- Scott Northern Wake Campus
Building E, Room 230
No appointments are necessary, but hours of operation vary depending on tutor availability.
Virtual REAL Center (email)
Email tutoring is especially helpful if you like to go back and review written feedback or if your busy schedule makes appointments difficult.
Email the following files to [email protected]:
- Your draft
- Copy of assignment instructions (not the grading rubric or assignment checklist)
- Completed Submission Form (opens in Word)
NOTE: Upload files as attachments to your email. Please use .docx or .rtf files only. No PDFs, SharePoint, OneDrive or Google links.
Tutors will review your draft and email you feedback. Please allow one business day to receive feedback after your submission has been accepted. You may receive your feedback after business hours.
Virtual REAL Center (video chat)
Video chat tutoring offers the best of both worlds. Make an appointment to discuss your writing with a tutor via Microsoft Teams. It's a great option for learners who like to interact and discuss in real time but can't make it to campus.
NOTE: Hours of operation vary depending on tutor availability.
Tips for using the centers
- Plan in advance – leave enough time for tutoring and revisions before your assignment is due.
- A single assignment can be reviewed up to three times.
- Tutors can help you understand grammar rules but cannot proofread or "mark up" papers.
- If you can't make a scheduled appointment, please cancel, reschedule or notify tutors in advance by email. In fairness to all students, multiple "no show" appointments may limit your ability to use the center.
- No comments on what grade you might earn will be offered. Students are responsible for making corrections to their work and contacting their instructor with grading questions.
- For each session, tutors spend about 25 minutes on your assignment. You may need to use the center more than once to have all of your concerns addressed.
- The center is closed on weekends and college holidays/closings.
For more information, email [email protected].
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App