Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to describe and make use of specific strategies for taking standardized tests such as the TOEFL iBT.
- be able to identify specific areas of language focus for this part of the TOEFL iBT and how to work toward further improvement of these language skills.
- be able to have hands-on experience with a simulated TOEFL iBT exam.
- Week 1: Introduction to the course, overview of the TOEFL iBT, format of the reading portion, reading diagnostic pretest, how to locate information with speed and accuracy - skimming for key facts and important information
- Week 2: how to demonstrate basic comprehension - main idea, key points, passage structure, passage purpose, important facts and details, vocabulary in context, and pronoun references
- Week 3: how to learn from a reading - understanding relationships between ideas, compare and contrast, cause and effect, agree/disagree, steps in a process; tracing the development of ideas in a passage
- Week 4: how to make inferences - author's opinion, implied message
- Week 5: Review, reading post-test
- Attendance 80% or above
- Students may miss one class and still receive a certificate of completion.
- Beyond the Basics: Business Writing for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711E2
- Beyond the Basics: Verbal Communication for Business - COM-3711G2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 1 - SEF-3001BR2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 2 - SEF-3001BQ2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Grammar for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711F2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3