Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to describe and make use of specific strategies for taking standardized tests such as the TOEFL iBT.
- be able to identify specific areas of language focus for this part of the TOEFL iBT and how to work toward further improvement of these language skills.
- be able to have hands-on experience with a simulated TOEFL iBT exam.
- Week 1: Introduction to the course, overview of the TOEFL iBT, format of the listening portion, listening diagnostic pretest, how to demonstrate comprehension - understand the main idea, key points, structure, purpose, conclusion, important facts, and relevant details.
- Week 2: How to learn from listening - understanding the various relationships between ideas such as compare and contrast, cause and effect, agree/disagree, and steps in a process, tracing the development of ideas or events through the recordings, noting digression and side comments.
- Week 3: How to make inferences about an author's opinion and what is implied in a recording.
- Week 4: Listening test-taking strategies - basic approaches to locating the main idea, determining structure, tone, and listening for transitions.
- Week 5: Review, post-test.
- Attendance 80% or above
- Students who miss one class can still get a certificate of completion.
- Beyond the Basics: Business Writing for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711E2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Grammar for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711F2
- Beyond the Basics: Verbal Communication for Business - COM-3711G2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 1 - SEF-3001BR2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 2 - SEF-3001BQ2