Registration and Certification Requirements
North Carolina Board of Pharmacy:
- Link to NCBOP requirements http://www.ncbop.org/technicians_registrationreqs.htm
- Holds a high school diploma or equivalent or is currently enrolled in a program that awards a high school diploma;
- Is employed by a pharmacy holding a valid in-state pharmacy permit;
- Completes a training program approved by the supervising pharmacist-manager that includes: pharmacy terminology, pharmacy calculations, dispensing systems and labeling requirements, pharmacy laws and regulations, record keeping and documentation, and the proper handling and storage of medications. OR Holds a current pharmacy technician certification issued by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (“PTCB”)
- Pay a $30.00 annual registration fee
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
- Link to PTCB requirements: http://www.ptcb.org/get-certified/apply#.WPPIjYjytdg
To achieve PTCB Certification, candidates must satisfy the following eligibility requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent educational diploma (e.g., a GED or foreign diploma).
- Full disclosure of all criminal and State Board of Pharmacy registration or licensure actions.
- Compliance with all applicable PTCB Certification policies.
- Passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE).
- Cost to take the examination is $129
- Renewal fee: $40 every two years *20 hours of CE is required to renew
PTCE Pass Rates
Year National Percentage WTCC Percentage
2018 57% 75%