Students, Faculty, and Staff Recognized for Excellence
RALEIGH, N.C. (May 19, 2020) - Wake Tech is pleased to announce this year’s faculty, staff and student recipients of the college’s Excellence Awards.
In 2020, the college gave awards to 20 faculty and staff members for their service and dedication. Six students received Academic Excellence awards. The Excellence Awards are sponsored annually by the Wake Tech Foundation, which receives and administers private sector funds for college programs.
Because of COVID-19, Wake Tech was unable to host its annual Excellence Awards event in April. Instead, the college recognized award recipients with a special delivery of flowers and cookies to their homes including a personal note from Wake Tech President Dr. Scott Ralls and Vice President of Development and Strategic Partnerships Matt Smith thanking them for their hard work and dedication to the college.
In addition, Dr. Ralls surprised those selected as Instructor of the Year, Adjunct Instructor of the Year, Staff Member of the Year, and Student of the Year with a special in-person cake and balloon delivery. Each winner will also receive a plaque and cash award and will be recognized at future college events.
Six students received Academic Excellence Awards:
- Amber Christensen, Applied Engineering & Technologies
- Shaniek Wiltshier, Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
- Najmeh Pashmi, Business & Public Services Technologies
- Mutinta Hangoma, Health Sciences
- Sky Gunderson, Information Technologies
- Christopher Wagner, Mathematics, Sciences & Engineering
Eight faculty members received the Excellence in Teaching Award:
- Sara Jones, Academic Success & Transition Resources
- Ricardo Duarte, Applied Engineering & Technologies
- Elizabeth “Betsy” Castellow, Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
- John Allen, Business & Public Services Technologies
- Frances “Kathy” Spade, Health Sciences
- Barbara Warner, Information Technologies
- Narasimhan Sujatha, Mathematics, Sciences & Engineering
- Kelly Smith, College & Career Readiness
Four adjunct faculty members received the Excellence in Teaching Award:
- Dr. Adrien Re, Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
- Charles “Chuck” Stuber, Business & Public Services Technologies
- Samantha Murphy, Health Sciences
- Jane Proctor, Information Technologies
Ryan Schwiebert, Information Technology Services, received the Excellence in Executive Leadership Award.
Excellence in Leadership Awards were given to four staff members:
- James Roberson, Instructional Support
- Leigh Anne Dupree, Information Technology Services
- Jackie Swanik, Mathematics, Sciences & Engineering
- Tamaria Lawson, Curriculum Education Services
Excellence in Service Awards were given to three staff members:
- Lillian Heaton, Workforce Continuing Education Services
- Jena Bogovich, Student Services
- Josie George, Effectiveness & Innovation Services
Four winners were given special awards. Betsy Castellow was named Wake Tech’s Instructor of the Year and Lillian Heaton was named Staff Member of the Year. They will represent Wake Tech at the statewide NCCCS Excellence Competition. Jane Proctor is the Adjunct Teacher of the Year. Christopher Wagner was named the 2020 Dwight O. Ryan Outstanding Student of the Year.