Career Speakers Webinar Series
"Make Your Career Virtually Unstoppable"
Sessions are free to prospective and enrolled students, as well as alumni.
In the blink of an eye, we now live and work in an environment that’s primarily virtual.
Navigating your career under these circumstances requires changing your tactics and learning new techniques. Although we are transitioning in unprecedented times, it is prime time to reset the steps along your career journey.
Led by industry experts, this webinar series will provide you with invaluable knowledge and effective practices to help make your career virtually unstoppable.
===== Recordings of previous sessions =====
Invest in Your Vision - Career Vision Board Workshop
Learn from Larry Tucker and Sonya Hayes, Wake Tech career coaches, how to create and use a digital career vision board as a daily affirmation of your aspirations and career goals.
I'm All Business!
A panel of successful professionals shed light on careers in business administration, human resources, marketing, project management, entrepreneurship and real estate:
- Kris Ross, Wake Tech director of benefits
- Katie Gailes, Wake Tech director of Entrepreneurship Initiatives
- Abby Saucedo, Coldwell Banker Advantage real estate agent and Wake Tech alumna
- Damien Perez, North Carolina Project Management Institute vice president of certifications
- John Andrews, Katadhin president
Maximizing Your Interview Follow-Up
Your post-interview follow-up approach is an important and often overlooked step in the hiring process. A strong follow-up can make you stand out above other candidates, further showcase your skills, correct interview missteps and gain valuable feedback.
The panel includes recruitment professionals who have conducted hundreds of interviews and can help you maximize your follow-up approach:
- Garion Bunn, State Farm Insurance agent
- Ylenia Sharif, UNC Health senior DEI analyst
- Lauren Olson, Avenica vice president of growth strategy
- Kelli Howard, Surveying and Mapping LLC talent acquisition manager
- Mariah Agsten, SEPI Engineering human resources manager
Career Spotlight: STEAM Professionals
In honor of Women's History Month, it's "The PowHER of STEAM," a career spotlight honoring women in science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics. Our guest panelists share their journey, shed light on STEAM careers and empower aspiring STEAM professionals:
- Dr. Schantel Bouknight, Charlies River Laboratories scientific director
- Tess Bradford, The Bright Insight Group owner and CEO
- Kendra Settles, Siemens Industry electrical engineering manager
- Ellen Edwards Long, Jewels by Elan owner and designer
- Nicole Mack, Research Triangle Institute statistician
Career Spotlight: STEM Professionals
In honor of National STEM Day, it's "Full STEM Ahead" as we engage with professionals positively impacting our world in science, technology, engineering and mathematics:
- Koren Townsend, Red Hat senior application developer
- Dominick Ali, Wake Tech chemistry faculty
- Dr. Christine Daniels, Duke University's Human Vaccine Institute post-doctoral fellow
- Al Leaston, Wake Tech Network Management program director
- Josh Marek, Duke University's Human Vaccine Institute research technician
Thinking of starting a business? This session highlights the different ways Wake Tech can support your small business and entrepreneur efforts. Hear from Wake Tech’s Small Business Center and Center for Entrepreneurship to learn about the many resources available:
- Katie Gailes – Entrepreneurship Initiatives director
- Cherith Roberson Small Business Center director
From Mind FULL to Mindfullness in Career Decision Making
Mindfulness is at the core of ultimate career success. Gain insight into simple, yet effective, strategies to enable you to gain control of thoughts and behaviors and redirect them in productive ways to enhance your career decision-making:
- Gillian Norton, Wake Tech psychology faculty
- Dr. Jerry Nuesell, Wake Tech Ombuds
- Eleanor Miles, ILC Writing and Study Center director and associate professor
Disability Employment Awareness Panel
In recognition of Disability Employment Awareness, gain insight on building accessible and inclusive workplaces:
- John Samuel, Ablr 360 co-founder and CEO
- Cheryl Cloyd, Coastal Credit Union employee relations manager
- Kurt Merriweather, The Diversity Movement strategist and developer
- Katie Uher, SAS program manager
The Art of Storytelling in Networking and Interviewing
Storytelling is the single most powerful tool in the job seeker’s toolkit. Gain tips on how to stand out from the crowd, and learn how to bring your story to life to get the career you want:
- Sandra Dubose, Wake Tech event coordinator, entrepreneur and entertainer
- Moses Alexander Greene, N.C. Museum of Art director of performing arts/film and entrepreneur
- Bryan Ruefner, Wake Tech communication faculty
- Larry Tucker, Wake Tech career development coach
- Marsha McCoy, Wake Tech communication faculty
Empowered Women of Wake Tech: Minority Women Making Change
Women are challenging the norms and pushing boundaries while blazing a path of excellence. Hear stories of initiative, perseverance and resilience from several distinguished women of Wake Tech:
- Jacinta Almond, Academic Advising director
- Katie Gailes, Entrepreneurship Initiatives director
- Kela Farmer, Office of Volunteerism coordinator
- Michelle Blackmon, Fostering Bright Futures program coordinator
Mental Wellness Professionals
Do you have a passion for helping others? Are you interested in a career that makes a difference? Do you need insights into the different career options in the field of human services? Mental wellness professionals from various backgrounds provide insights:
- Amanda Allen, M.Ed., NCC, LCMHCA - Wake Tech wellness counselor
- Ashley Bailey, MS, CRC, LCMHCA - North Carolina Central University counselor
- Thu Washington, LCMHCS, NCC - Washington and Company senior consultant
- Lyndon Robinson, Ed.D., LCMHC - North Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Service counselor-in-charge
Cultivating Creative Careers
Do you want a career that embraces your creative talents? Do you need inspiration to ignite your creative potential? Hear from local artists from various industries about career options, the impact and value of embracing your creative skill set and tips for creative entrepreneurs striving to launch a career:
- Sandra Dubose, Wake Tech event coordinator and award-winning motivational speaker, personal development coach, author and performing artist
- Ellen Edwards Long, Jewels by Elan owner, entrepreneur and educator
- Troy McNish, Red Hat live events coordinator and content creator, filmmaker, photographer and videographer
A Diverse and Inclusive Workplace in Action is the "The New Normal"
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to work in an environment where you are accepted for your uniqueness and individuality? Organizations today recognize the importance of cultivating an inclusive workplace and the value of diverse teams. Panelists discuss topics such as creating transformational change and promoting connectivity and a spirit of belonging.
Acing the Virtual Interview
Many employers are opting for virtual interviews. While the questions may be similar, a virtual interview consists of numerous differences that require thought and preparation. Panelists discuss topics such as differences from both a recruiter's and a candidate's perspective, effectively utilizing space and technology and steps to ensure success and pitfalls to avoid.
Creating a Resume and Digital Brand that Makes an Impact
Recruitment professionals discuss how to make your resume stand out. From the format to the content, they enlighten you on strategies to get you in the door and impact your chances of getting hired for the job you want. You also learn various methods to build and market your digital footprint.
Building and Maintaining Connections in a Virtual World
No networking events currently on your schedule? No worries! This webinar offers ways to assist you in thinking creatively about how best to manage your career planning in the current situation. Gain ideas for making meaningful professional connections and expanding your network.