Virtual Tour of Outdoor Geology Laboratory
Learn more about the rocks in the Outdoor Geology Laboratory
This interactive North Carolina map shows the locations of different quarry sites of the chosen rock boulders. Click the numbers on the map (or on the links below) to learn more information, including photos and descriptions of each rock boulder.
- 1a. Mica Schist from Bessemer City, N.C.
- 1b. Granite Pegmatite from Bessemer City, N.C.
- 2. Marble from Kings Mountain, N.C.
- 3. Meta-Argillite from Asheboro, N.C.
- 4a. Gabbro from Concord, N.C.
- 4b. Diabase from Concord, N.C.
- 5. Greenstone from Burlington, N.C.
- 6. Monzanite from Thomasville, NC
- 7. Diorite from Raleigh, N.C.
- 8. Grano-diorite with pegmatitic dikes from Garner, N.C.
- 9. Rolesville Granite from Raleigh, N.C. (found at Scott Northern Wake Campus)
- 10. Meta-Tuff from Benson, N.C.
- 11. Castle Hayne Limestone from Castle Hayne, N.C.
- 12. Onslow Limestone from Maysville, N.C.