Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- identify and produce conversational speech patterns normally found in North American English.
- differentiate conversational speech patterns according to context.
- Introductions; Course Overview
- Careers - Work, Interviews, and Meetings
- Travel - Local and International
- Health and Fitness - Communicating with Healthcare Providers
- Cuisine - At Home, Shopping, Restaurants
- Leisure Activities
- Culture and Traditions
- Course Review and Other Topics of Specific Interest to Current Students
- Attendance 80% or above
- Students with two or fewer absences will receive a certificate of completion for this course.
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Grammar for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711F2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 1 - SEF-3001BR2
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 2 - SEF-3001BQ2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3
- Beyond the Basics: Better Scores in TOEFL - Reading - SEF-3001CA2
- Beyond the Basics: Better Scores in TOEFL iBT - Speaking - SEF-3001CB2
- Beyond the Basics: Better Scores on the Toefl iBT - Writing - SEF-3001BY2
- Beyond the Basics: Better Scores on the TOEFL iBT - Listening - SEF-3001BZ2