Office of Volunteerism & Leadership
The Office of Volunteerism and (Student) Leadership (OVAL) was established to help students develop the knowledge and skills to serve their communities; to provide them with service opportunities; and to encourage them to become active local and global leaders. OVAL provides leadership training and service experiences in support of Wake Tech’s core values of accountability, respect, responsibility, and collaboration.
OVAL’s vision is to create an infrastructure that will raise awareness of the critical needs of the community; promote collective responsibility; and cultivate lifetime leadership, learning, and activism for positive social change.
- Closed out the year with 2,282 volunteer hours and 904 participants
- Helped out at Project Homeless Connect with 26 volunteers to help connect the local homeless population with resources in Wake County.
- One hundred and fifty students were inducted into the Wake Tech Chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success.
- Two Wake Tech students were accepted to participate into the Student Leadership Development Program sponsored by the NC System Office.
- 8 students traveled to New York City with our Alternative Spring Break program where they spent the week volunteering at homeless shelters, food pantries and soup kitchens.
- Packaged over 10,000 meals that were sent to Nicaragua to benefit school feeding programs with Stop Hunger Now.
- In January “The Nest” food pantry was opened to benefit any students who are faced with food insecurity.
- Had our best year yet and collected 1,939 pounds of food at our "Fill the Ambulance Food Drive".
- Collected 64 units of blood that was donated to the American Red Cross
- Earned top honors as the “Top College Team” for raising the most donations amongst college teams in the Triangle with the American Diabetes Association, Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes.
- OVAL welcomed Mariel Steinbeiser as our new Assistant Coordinator
- National Society of Leadership and Success welcomed 385 new pending members