Wake Adults Volunteering Educational Services (WAVES)
Wake Tech’s College & Career Readiness Division volunteer program, which offers adults from all walks of life the opportunity to help other adults realize their educational dreams.
Opportunities to volunteer:
- Adult Basic Education
- High School Equivalency Preparation
- Adult High School
- ABE TOPS
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Immured Populations
Volunteers Are Needed To:
- Tutor Students
- Encourage and motivate students
- Enrich learning environments
Most volunteers commit one to three hours per week
Held mornings, afternoons, and evenings throughout Wake County. Classes are offered at the Beltline Education Center, the Individualized Learning Center on Wake Tech’s Main Campus, and at various public schools, workplace sites, churches and community centers.
- Knowledge and experience in adult education
- Satisfaction of helping improve NC adult literacy levels
- Enjoyment of working with motivated students
All potential volunteers must attend a two-hour orientation and fill out the required paperwork, including a background check before placement in a classroom.
Upcoming orientation dates:
Monday, April 24, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Location Beltline Education Center, 3200 Bush Street, Raleigh, NC 27609
Time 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Please note: Volunteer positions may not be used to fulfill observation requirements for a teaching practicum. WAVES volunteer placements are not opportunities to observe teachers nor teach classes.
You will need to bring:
(1) Your home addresses from the past 7 years (for the purpose of a background check)
(2) The names, emails, and phone #’s for 2 references – at least 1 should be a professional reference