- About Us
- Foundation Impact
- Tuition Assistance
- Community Awards
- Forms and Reports
100% of your investment
goes to support Wake
Tech's students and
Wake Tech Foundation
9101 Fayetteville Road
Raleigh, NC 27603
Montague Hall, Suite 320
Tuition Assistance from the Wake Tech Foundation allows faculty and staff to stay ahead of the curve and pursue advanced degrees, career credentials, and professional development. Leadership Development grants foster collaboration and encourage creative ideas. Over 475 employees have received tuition assistance since the program began.
2015-16 Tuition Assistance: $70,000 (102 employees)
The primary goal of the Tuition Assistance program is to assist in funding college credit courses for employees. Employees seeking required certification and licensure should speak to their supervisors about departmental funds for professional development.
Employees must submit an application for pre-approval prior to the semester/term of enrollment (dates listed below). Approved applicants will then submit a request for tuition reimbursement once they have completed the courses listed on their application.
Applications for pre-approval are accepted three times a year:
- June 1 - July 1 for FALL: courses beginning August 1 - November 30
- October 1 - November 1 for SPRING: courses beginning December 1 - March 31
- February 1 - March 1 for SUMMER: courses beginning April 1 - July 31
View a sample application to see what information is requested and required.
PLEASE NOTE: Tuition Assistance is not the program which offers tuition exemption (one free course) to employees enrolled at Wake Tech. To learn more about Tuition Exemption, log into the Portal and then click here. Employees attending Wake Tech may request Tuition Assistance for Wake Tech courses beyond those covered by the Tuition Exemption benefit.
Contact Margaret Griffin:
e: [email protected]
- Applicant must have been a full-time annual employee of Wake Tech for at least one year prior to the application date and be in good standing with the college.
- Applicant must have contributed to the Employee Campaign between July 1 and June 30 of the previous year.
- Applicant must not be on a probationary contract.
- Employees are encouraged to notify their supervisors upon submission of a Tuition Assistance application. Supervisors are also notified by the Foundation via email subsequent to each application deadline.
- Employees enrolling in undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate coursework may apply for up to $500 in tuition assistance per application cycle.
- Employees pursuing licensure or certification* may apply for up to $300 in tuition assistance per application cycle.
- Employees may submit applications for pre-approval during each of the three annual application cycles, contingent on meeting all stated eligibility requirements.
- Applicants attending institutions that do not operate on a typical semester schedule should refer to the date range for each application cycle: FALL = courses beginning Aug 1–Nov 30; SPRING = Dec 1–March 31; SUMMER = April 1–July 31.
- Credit courses must be offered by a regionally-accredited institution (click here for a list). Non-credit courses must be sponsored by an appropriate agency.
- Applicants are asked to notify the Foundation about changes to the courses included on their application.
- Tuition assistance may be requested only for Wake Tech courses beyond those covered by the Tuition Exemption benefit. (To learn more about Tuition Exemption, log into the Portal and click here.) For one course, you must submit only the Tuition Waiver form to the Registrar; for more than one course, you must submit a Tuition Assistance application and a Tuition Waiver form.
*Individuals seeking support for required certification and licensure programs should speak to their supervisor regarding departmental professional development funds.
- All applications are reviewed by members of the Tuition Assistance Committee (Executive Vice President, SVP of Curriculum Education, SVP of Continuing Education, Dean of Institutional Effectiveness, and representatives from the Faculty Association and Staff Council).
- Approval is determined by the committee and based on stated program guidelines and availability of funds.
- Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision via email, within four weeks of the application cycle deadline.
- Award payments are made on a reimbursement basis. (See Reimbursement for more information.)
- Employees are eligible to receive Tuition Assistance three times a year, contingent on meeting all stated requirements.
- Employees receiving grants and/or scholarships from other sources in an amount greater than or equal to the cost of tuition, or on educational leave with pay, are not eligible to receive Tuition Assistance. (Employees pursuing associate's or bachelor's degrees are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.)
- To receive reimbursement, pre-approved applicants must earn a grade of “C” or better on an undergraduate course of “B” or better on a graduate course. For courses in which grades are not given, applicants must provide documentation of successful completion.
- Recipients who voluntarily separate from employment at Wake Technical Community College within one year of receiving tuition assistance will be expected to refund the Foundation for the amount received during the last one-year period.
- To request reimbursement, email a completed Tuition Assistance Reimbursement Check Request Form to Lesia Johnson ([email protected]) and cc: Heather Buck ([email protected]). (Download the form from the list here.)
- Only courses listed on your application are eligible for reimbursement. Send any course changes to Margaret Griffin at least 30 days prior to requesting reimbursement.
- Undergraduate courses receiving below a grade of “C” and graduate courses receiving below a grade of “B” are ineligible for reimbursement. Courses using a Pass/Fail system should be accompanied by a copy of the institution's grading policy. Ungraded courses or certifications should be accompanied by documentation of successful completion.
- Tuition assistance is offered for tuition costs only; student fees are not included.
- Requests must be submitted to the Foundation within 60 calendar days from the date of course completion to receive tuition reimbursement.
- Allow at least 10 business days for checks to be processed. Reimbursement checks will be sent via interoffice mail unless otherwise requested.
- Reimbursement checks for summer courses will be issued after July 1.
- Unused grants approved in one semester will not carry over to subsequent semesters.
For more information, contact Margaret Griffin at 919-866-5918 or [email protected].