ILC Writing Center Workshops
Contact Annie Leathers for access to semester news, workshop schedules and sign-ups. [email protected] 919-747-0233
For dates and times of workshops happening NOW.
Test Anxiety Tips
The ILC will assist you in learning critical life skills to calm anxiety and strategies to prevent "brain freeze" in the midst of an exam. We will discuss how to use time effectively, pull the most important information from texts and classes, and actively read your text for better retention.
Grammar Hour – Run-Ons
This workshop explores sentence boundaries and how to write correctly connected sentences in your essay.
Dealing with Stress
Feeling overwhelmed with school, work, and home? Learn tips for dealing with stress in this one-hour workshop. Students will learn the basics of practicing mindfulness as a method of disciplining thoughts for increased alertness and attention to essentials rather than distractions.
Grammar Hour - Commas 2
This workshop explores three additional comma rules: commas with nonrestrictive and restrictive elements, commas with transitional or parenthetical expressions, and commas with titles, dates, and addresses.
This ILC workshop will help you improve your writing by covering the essential subject-verb agreement rules along with pronoun-antecendent agreement rules
Memory and Learning
This workshop teaches students effective memory strategies. The Memory Workshop's strategy skills are transferrable to all academic courses and life tasks. Memory Workshop I focuses on strategies to enhance sensory memory and short term memory STM.
Students will understand the proper methods of incorporating sources: building paragraphs, which integrate the students' own analysis and conclusions with evidence, quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, and giving attribution.
Writing a Scholarship Application Essay
Aimed at EVERYONE, this workshop will take attendees through the process of creating scholarship and application essays that stand out! Work on tips and tricks to identify the best way to present your story.
Attacking the Passage:
Don't just read a passage, ATTACK it… by: asking questions, taking notes while reading, and finding the purpose. Attend this workshop and allow the ILC tutors to equip you with successful strategies.
Come to this ILC Workshop to learn how to adopt a system of making better choices in order to rethink your daily schedules and commitments..
Open-Come with Questions
- Agreement: Subject-Verb and Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement
- Commas I Workshop
- Commas II Workshop
- Commas Survival Kit (Abbreviated version of I & II)
- The Dirty Dozen: A Workshop on the Twelve English Verb Tenses
- Grammar Review — Commas
- Grammar Review – Major Errors
- Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement
- Proofreading: Strategies and Suggestions
- Sentence Structure: Fragments, Comma Splices, and Fused Sentences
- Sentence Elements
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Using Pronouns Clearly
Research, Writing, and Documentation Workshops
- APA Workshop
- Avoiding Plagiarism
- Writing a Great Thesis Statement
- Critical Thinking in a History Research Essay
- Definition Essays
- Essay Organization/Outlining
- Finding Good Sources
- How to Analyze an Essay
- MLA Workshop
- Rhetorical Modes: Paragraph Development
- Saying What You Mean: Being More Specific and Descriptive
- Sentence Combining
- Technical Writing Workshop
- Technical Writing Workshop—Police Reports
- Transitions Workshop
- Writing a Cause-Effect Essay
- Writing a Claims with Reason Essay
- Writing a Compare-Contrast Essay
- Writing a Definition Essay
- Writing a History Research Essay
- Writing a Researched Essay in Your Own Voice
- Writing In-Class Essays
- Poetry Analysis Workshop
- Poetry Rhythm and Meter
- Reading Shakespeare
- Writing a Literary Essay
- Writing about Short Stories or Novels
Reading Review Sessions
- Finding Supporting Details
- Finding the Main Idea
- How to Read Critically
- Vocabulary Workshop
Science-Related Review Sessions
- Biology Bootcamp
- Developing Comfort with Competency Skills: The Psychomotor Domain
- Medical Terminology Introduction
- Studying Science
- What are you really saying? Communication in Healthcare
General Study Strategies Review Sessions
- Creating Concept Maps
- History Study Strategies
- How to Read Critically
- Note Taking
- Study Strategies
- Studying Smart
- Textbook Reading
- Time Management
- Time Management and Organization
Don’t see what you need? Ask us to create a new review session for you!