ILC Computer Center Procedures & Resources
How Should I Prepare for Tutoring?
For a successful tutoring experience:
- Complete all preliminary reading and exercises required for the assignment or project you plan to discuss with your tutor. This is critical!
- Make a list of questions and/or things you would like to accomplish in the computer center.
- Bring your text and related materials to the computer center.
- Print a copy of, or be prepared to access assignment information in Blackboard.
- Have a flash drive on hand, or be prepared to email or save work in a cloud storage environment.
- It is a good idea to call ahead to make sure that specialized tutors will be present.
What Will My Tutor Do?
- A tutor specialist in your focus area will connect with you to review your visit goals and discern your learning style and preferences.
- In our unique computer center environment, tutors float between students at specialized computer stations, building academic confidence and encouraging self-sufficient learning.
Computer Center tutors can:
- Review course concepts
- Answer questions
- Demonstrate concepts and techniques
- Reinforce best practices
- Troubleshoot and review troubleshooting techniques with students
- Guide students through difficult areas of course materials
- Provide tutor created supplemental materials and carefully selected outside resources
Computer Center Procedures
Computer Center tutors float between students in a collaborative environment focused on student success. Our enthusiasm for the subject matter is contagious! Appointments are not required. Specialized tutor schedules are posted.
What Will I Do When I Arrive?
- Swipe your WTCC Student ID (required in-hand for center access) upon arrival, and select your session course focus.
- Retrieve your daily log card from the log card file station. (You will receive a new card on your first visit each semester.)
- Check-in with a tutor to log a focus area for your session.
- Settle at a computer in the appropriate station, and raise your hand when you are ready to work with a tutor.
- As you leave the Computer Center, swipe your student ID to log-out, and drop your log card in the designated container.