The mission and purpose of the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy is to regulate the practice of massage and bodywork therapy in the State of North Carolina in order to ensure minimum standards of competency and to protect the public health, safety and welfare.
The board regulates the practice of massage and bodywork therapy by:
- Determining the qualifications of persons seeking to practice massage and bodywork therapy and authorizing persons who have met the statutory requirements to so practice.
- Enforcing the provisions of laws governing the practice of massage and bodywork therapy and those duly enacted rules designed to ensure its safe and ethical practice.
Requirements for Licensure
Upon application to the board and the payment of the required fees, an applicant may be licensed as a massage and bodywork therapy if the applicant meets all of the following qualifications:
1) Has obtained a high school diploma or equivalent
2) Is 18 years of age or older
3) Is of good moral character as determined by the board
4) Has successfully completed a training program of a minimum of 500 in-class hours of supervised instruction at a board-approved school
5) Has passed a competency examination that meets generally-accepted psychometric principles and standards and is approved by the board
6) Has submitted fingerprint cards in a form acceptable to the board at the time the license application is filed and consented to a criminal history record check by the North Carolina Department of Justice.
|The mission of the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork is to foster high standards of ethical and professional practice in the delivery of services through a recognized credible credentialing program that assures the competency of practitioners of therapeutic massage and bodywork.|
|The American Massage Therapy Association® (AMTA) is one source for professional credibility, continuing education and information resources in the massage therapy profession.|
|Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals, is a membership organization with liability insurance coverage. Serving the massage therapy community through practice support, ethical standards, legislative advocacy, and public education.|
|Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards, supporting the mission of public protection. Administers the MBLEx.|