Frequently Asked Questions

Lateral Entry FAQs

What Do I need to be Eligible for the Lateral Entry Program?

To be eligible to take any of the lateral entry courses, you must have:

  • A four-year degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
  • A plan of study to pursue licensure in a NC public or charter school from the Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC)
  • You must have one of these content requirements:
    1. A degree relevant to the desired licensure area
    2. 24 semester hours of coursework in the content area
    3. Passing score(s) on the PRAXIS II test(s) for the desired licensure area (not recommended For English or Social Studies licensure)
  • And , you must have ONE of the GPA requirements:
    1. An undergraduate or graduate degree GPA of at least 2.50
    2. Five years of relevant (teaching) experience that occurred after the Bachelor’s  Degree as determined by DPI.
    3. A passing score on the PRAXIS I test and a GPA of at least 3.0 in the major field of study
    4. A passing score on the PRAXIS I test and a GPA of at least 3.0 in all courses taken during senior year.
    5. A passing score on the PRAXIS I test and GPA of at least 3.0 on a minimum of 15 semester hours of courses completed within the last 5 years

Do I receive my teaching license by completing the classes at Wake Technical Community College?

No, Wake Technical Community College, is a 2 year college that has established a partnership program with NC State University so that students can complete their 9 pedagogical courses at an affordable price. At Wake Tech, you will complete 6 of the identified courses and then go on and complete the last three of your required pedagogical courses at the 4 year college.

After completing your courses at NC State, you will submit your official transcript from State back to Wake Tech and you will receive your Certificate of completion for the lateral entry classes.

What are the enrollment steps that I must complete in order to take lateral entry classes?

  • Attend an information session
  • Provide a copy of all transcripts at the time of the information session
  • Following the information session, you will complete the process of obtaining a program of study from the RALC, if you meet requirements.
  • Following the information session, apply to Wake Technical Community College as a curriculum student either as a Special Student or as a Lateral Entry student depending on your individual needs.
  • After receiving your program of study, send a copy of this document to [email protected]   for verification of required classes

Do I need to apply to the senior institute as part of this process?

Yes, during the beginning of your second semester here at Wake Tech, it is necessary for you to complete your admissions application to the senior institute.  Our partner senior institute is NC State and the contact for this institution is Alison Winzeler ([email protected]).

What licensing areas are covered by the certificate?

Coursework covers the general pedagogy competencies required for licensure in middle or high school math, science, social studies, English, Spanish, and French among others. Some other licensing areas such as business or art can meet most of their required coursework through the certificate. Only a few of the classes will benefit Special Education licensure candidates. The Lateral Entry Certificate does not lead to licensure in Elementary Education or English as a Second Language.

How long does it take to complete the certificate?

The certificate is composed of nine curriculum classes or twenty-seven hours of coursework. Eighteen hours are completed at Wake Tech and nine hours are completed at NCSU. Students who attend full-time and start in the fall are able to complete the certificate in two semesters.

Does completion of the certificate license me to teach in North Carolina?

No. Additional requirements, such as pre-service training and passing the PRAXIS II, are required for licensure. Wake Technical Community College is not a licensing agency and cannot issue you a license to teach. Please register for an information session to learn more about the licensing process in North Carolina.

What is the RALC?

The RALC is the Regional Alternative Licensing Center. There are four Regional Alternative Licensing Centers (RALCs) in North Carolina, created by the State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction. The centers were designed specifically to assist lateral entry teachers in NC to achieve a full professional educator’s license. The RALCs evaluate teaching candidates’ applications, prescribe courses of study, and outline other requirements needed in order to receive full professional educators’ licenses. Upon completion of individuals’ plans of study, the RALC will make recommendation to the Licensure Section at DPI for clear licenses.

Which RALC should I send my transcripts to for this region?

For students living in this area of the state, the RALC that you would send your official transcripts to is Nash County. The evaluator/contact person at this site is Teresa McCall.

What Licensing areas are covered by the certificate?

For information regarding specific licensing areas, you can visit the following website to verify a specific content area.