Wake Tech has more than 2,000 employees and more than 70,000 students enrolled at all campuses combined. That can be a lot of cars, parking spaces, and auto emissions!
Finding your way around campus and getting to class on time is tough enough without transportation and parking headaches! Here are a few tips to make your life at Wake Tech a little easier:
- Plan to arrive EARLY. Be on campus 20 to 30 minutes ahead of your first class — 45 minutes, if you’re not quite sure where you’re going yet! There’s no wasted time when you’re early… you can always study for a quiz, review a chapter, or complete a homework assignment.
- Investigate GoRaleigh or GoTriangle buses, carpooling or vanpooling, biking, and other alternative forms of transportation. If you can take the bus, do it! Remember the GoRaleigh 40X line to Southern Wake Campus is free with your Wake Tech ID. No parking hassles, no gas money necessary.
- Check for potential rideshare/carpool matches at Share the Ride NC.
- Visit gotriangle.org for any of transportation planning needs.
- Find locations for park-and-ride lots.
- If you can provide reliable transportation for someone else, offer to give others a ride in return for a contribution toward the cost of gas!
- Park smart. The best parking spot is probably the one you can get into and out of quickly, not necessarily the one closest to your classroom. Learn which parking spaces fill up most quickly, and try to stay on campus instead of going out for lunch or errands between campus. Don't forget about the parking decks on Northern Wake Campus or the overflow gravel lot on Southern Wake Campus - just a short walk from classroom buildings! Be prepared for changes in weather by keeping an umbrella and a jacket in your backpack, in case you have to park farther away.
We can save time, money, and frustration – all while reducing our carbon footprint – by traveling smarter and choosing "greener" transportation options.
- Wake Tech supports and encourages carpooling and vanpooling. If you carpool just once a week, you will reduce your commuting costs and your carbon footprint by 20%!
- You can find carpool partners from nearby schools and businesses – or you can opt to arrange carpool matches with people at your campus only. It’s your choice!
- Visit Share the Ride NC to find available carpools or vanpools in your area. Once you have registered, your login password will be emailed to you so that you can review carpool matches online.
- Southern Wake (Main) Campus: GoRaleigh runs an express bus (40X) directly from Moore Square in downtown Raleigh to Southern Wake (Main) Campus, with a stop at Hammond Road and the Carlie C's store on Garner Station Boulevard. The Carlie C's lot is a free park-and-ride, which means you can drive there and leave your car for free to save you the hassle of parking on campus. You can also get to our Public Safety Education Campus by taking the 40X! Just get off at the Hammond Road stop.
40X Bus Schedule
- Northern Wake Campus: Take GoRaleigh route 25L and get off at stop #9541 (Wake Tech).
- Public Safety Education Campus: Take GoRaleigh route 7 OR the 40X and get off at stop #8415 (Wilmington Service Road and Chapanoke Road).
- Perry Health Sciences Campus: GoRaleigh route 19 runs from Moore Square to stop #8638 (Holston Lane at Sunnybrook Road).
- Bush Street Campus: GoRaleigh route 2 and Bush Street Shuttle
NOTE: The 40X is FREE for Wake Tech students and employees with a Wake Tech ID. It operates on a modified schedule during semester breaks and student holidays, and does not operate when the college is closed (see schedule for details).
Not taking the 40X? Students can ride all other GoRaleigh routes for free with a Wake Tech GoPass! Stop by an ID office to pick yours up today!
- Schedules and maps as well as fares and prices, are available for all GoRaleigh routes.
- Information about all regional transit systems, schedules, routes, and prices are available through GoTransit.
"Transit mode” is also very useful for finding public transit based on your start and end points and your time frame.
- Go to Google, choose Maps, and click on Get Directions.
- Choose your mode: Select By Public Transit (the bus icon) instead of the default mode By Car. Additional selection fields will pop up so you can enter the date and time — this coordinates the maps application with transit schedule information.
- Enter your starting point, your destination, and your time of departure, click on Get Directions, and voilá! You’ll have instant directions, with all the info you need to find the right bus and a stop close to your destination.
Note: You can also use the Public Transit mode to coordinate longer trips, which might include an Amtrak train, another city’s transit system, or a long-distance coach bus such as Greyhound.
Emergency Ride Home/GoPerks
Worried about carpooling to work and then needing your car? Don’t be! Wake Tech employees who use carpools, vanpools, ride the bus or bike/walk can get an emergency ride home whenever necessary. Emergency Ride Home is a GoTriangle program that provides rides for commuters who miss their ride or have an emergency. You can relax and know that you’ll be able to get home, no matter what. See gotriangle.org or register with Share the Ride NC for more information.
Employees registered in Share the Ride NC that are using a smart commute option to travel to work are also eligible for GoPerks incentives! Track your trips and you can win drawings for cool stuff!