Online and hybrid courses are available on the first day of the term.
Important Browser Information
Follow the link below to make sure that your operating system and Web browser are compatible with Blackboard’s online course management system.
Getting Ready for an Online Course
- Make sure that your computer is ready for online learning.
- Make sure your operating system is up-to-date.
Microsoft Windows Update
Mac OS X Updates
- Make sure you have a Blackboard certified browser installed.
- Adjust your browser, if necessary.
- Make sure recommended plug-ins are installed and up to date.
- Go to the My Courses box on the right side of the screen in your Blackboard account and click on the course name. Caution: Clicking on the course name in the Announcements box will not open your online course.
- Read the Announcements.
- Become familiar with the layout of the course by clicking on the links in the course menu on the left.
- Locate the syllabus.
- Locate the course schedule.
- Determine how the instructor takes attendance in your online class.
- After the course begins, don't hesitate to contact your instructor or a classmate if you have questions or concerns about your online course content.
- Students automatically receive free Office 365 email accounts through the College's student portal, my.waketech.edu.
- To activate your Office 365 email, login to the student portal, my.waketech.edu.
- Your Wake Tech email address is the default email for your online courses. Instructors will only reply to official Wake Tech email messages.
A Support Services link appears in the course menu of every online course.
- Don't hesitate to contact your instructor or a classmate if you have a question or concern about your online course content.
- If you are having technical problems with Blackboard, contact your instructor or Blackboard Help for Students.
Individualized Learning Center (ILC)
As a Wake Tech student, you have access to the free tutorial services of the Individualized Learning Center (ILC) located on five campuses (Main Campus, Western Wake Campus, Perry Health Sciences Campus, Northern Wake Campus, Public Safety Education Campus) and online assistance is available to students enrolled in online courses.