BioWork Process Technician
BioWork is a 128-hour non-credit certificate course (Workforce Continuing Education) that can lead to an entry-level position as a process technician.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are awarded for this course. BioWork is intended for high school graduates, for those in manufacturing industries who have lost their job, and for those who would like to start a new career.
"Of all the teachers and courses I've taken, I would say that BioWork impacted my life the most. I went from minimum wage to making a great living surrounded by people who actually enjoy coming to work for a company that actually cares."
-Ryan Kennedy, employee at Merck in the filtration suite working with the chicken pox vaccine.
Read Article: Biowork: Short-Term Training, Long-Term Benefits
Entry into the BioWork Program
- You must attend a BioWork information session, take a series of placement tests, and pass those tests before entry into the BioWork Program. The placement tests will be given at the begining of the information sessions. The information sessions take approximately 3 hours to complete. Please arrive at the start time of the session or a few minutes early. Testing will begin promptly at the times listed below.
Information Sessions (including placement testing) for Spring 2017 BioWork Courses:
- Monday, November 7th, 2016 - 9:00 AM to noon, Room 101*
- Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 - 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Room 101*
- Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 - 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Room 101*
- Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 - 9:00 AM to noon, Room 101*
- Monday, December 12th, 2016 - 9:00 AM to noon, Room 118*
- Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 - 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Room 118*
*BioWork Information Sessions are located at Western Wake Campus, 3434 Kildaire Farm Rd. Cary, NC
- Please direct any questions about the information sessions or placement tests to the BioWork Director listed at the bottom of this webpage.
Schedule for BioWork Spring 2017 (Western Wake Campus, Cary).
Sec. no. TBA Online (Hybrid)
Lecture online, last week of class students report to lab., (5/15/17 - 5/19/17)
M, T, W, Thur., F
Lab: 5/15 - 5-19
8am to noon
1pm to 5pm
|Sec. no. TBA Online, Lab one evening per week||1/19/2017||4/27/2017||Thursday||6pm-10pm|
|Sec. no. TBA Daytime (Traditional)||2/6/2017||4/18/2017||M,Tues.,W||9am-1pm|
|Sec. no. TBA Evening (Traditional)||1/23/2017||4/5/2017||M,W,F||
Biowork Program Basics
- Cost: $288 (including books)
- Duration of Course: 12-15 weeks, depending upon section chosen to attend
- Section Options: day, evening, and hybrid distance learning
- Location: Western Wake Campus
- Nine units of study designed by industry and directly related to biopharmaceutical technology
- Hands-on lab and equipment training (25% of course)
- Teamwork and problem solving activities
- Tours of a biopharmaceutical facility and the BioNetwork Capstone Center
- Teaching expertise of industry veterans
- Optional state certification exam for process technicians
- Networking opportunities linked to career-building and job search
- Optional resume support and interview practice
- A link to additional hands-on training provided by the BioNetwork Capstone Center
Before you can register for BioWork, you must:
- Hold a high school diploma or GED
- Attend an information session. Sessions including placement tests take about three hours; reservations are not required
- Pass placements test in reading and math. Placement testing occurs at the begining of the information session and takes about 2 hours; testing is free and reservations are not required.
- Pay tuition of $288 (includes the cost of books)
Only after taking and passing the placement tests will students be able to register for a BioWork class.
State Certification Exam and Review Courses
Wake Tech offers the State Certification Exam for Process Technicians twice a year (June and January). The exam is voluntary and costs $55. The test is administered by Castle Worldwide; only students that have a BioWork certificate will received scores from Castle. For more information and an application, please visit the Castle Worldwide website. A 16 or 20-hour review course is usually offered through Wake Tech just prior to the exam. Search the online schedule for Review for BioWork Process Technician State Exam to register for the next available review class.
|Process Technician State Certification Exam Schedule|
|Date TBA||9am-1pm||Western Wake Campus||$55|
BioWork Contact Information:
Dr. Michael Morgan
Wake Tech Workforce Continuing Education
Email: [email protected]