Wake Tech Students Receive Top Honors at Statewide Competition
May 17th, 2012
Phi Beta Lambda Students Win Nineteen Awards
RALEIGH, N.C. (May 16, 2012) - Wake Tech Community College students showcased their skills at Phi Beta Lambda’s State Leadership Conference. They won 19 awards, including six first place honors. Several Wake Tech students took home multiple awards. Phi Beta Lambda is the national academic fraternity for students in business and leadership. Students from 26 college and university chapters from across North Carolina competed in the event. The 58th annual statewide conference took place April 12-14 at the Hilton University Place in Charlotte.
Four Wake Tech students placed first in the state in individual events:
• Zac Drake, Accounting Analysis & Decision Making
• Daniel Lawler, Accounting Principles and Microeconomics
• Fiaunna Shivers, Future Business Executive
• Mareo Wainaino, Sports Management & Marketing
Four Wake Tech students placed second in the state in individual events:
• Zac Drake, Accounting for Professionals
• Brandon Ford, Financial Services
• Evan MacIntyre, International Business and Justice Administration
• Mareo Wainaino, Contemporary Sports Issues
One Wake Tech student placed third in the state in individual events:
• Fiaunna Shivers, Sales Presentation
Wake Tech also earned two team awards. The Computer Game and Simulation Programming team of Greg Causey, Alex Paschall and Jason Walker placed third in the state. Kevin Edwards placed first in the Hospitality Management team competition.
In addition, Fiaunna Shivers was elected to the state leadership team as Central Region Vice President.
Eight Wake Tech students will advance to the nationals in San Antonio, TX in June.